• My Other Blogs

  • Art Therapy

    Art Therapy

  • Challenges I’m Following:

  • 29 faces
  • Art Journal Every Day

  • Hosted by:

    Plain and Simple Banner Ad

  • Recycled Journal

    Recycled Journal - 21 Secrets 2013, Rae Missigman's Class

    Ever since I saw Rae Missigman’s ‘Go Green’ class on 21 Secrets 2013 I have been longing to have a go at making a recycled journal following her instructions. I have been an avid recycler for many years and have made use of many books in art projects, but I have never before taken one apart and reconstructed it, so this was a new adventure for me! My first step was a trip to my local Charity Shop to find a suitable hard back book to turn into my journal. These are the before and after pics!.

    As usual I couldn’t quite bring myself to follow all the instructions…

    Recycled Journal - 21 Secrets 2013, Rae Missigman's Class

    … plus I didn’t have all the recommended ingredients, so I improvised a bit! The biggest change I made was to the binding. Because I had 7 signatures and my pages were quite heavy, I thought it better to use a different binding format to the one Rae taught. I used this brilliant tutorial from Sarah to learn how to do the binding the way I wanted.

    But I digress! Having chosen and purchased my book for the princely sum of £1, the first task was to very carefully take it apart, removing all the signatures. Next came the fun part of decorating the cover, followed by the much trickier part of reassembling it into a book again! I started the decorating process with lots of layers of gesso, clean and painty tissues, and coloured inks dripped and sprayed. Once I was happy with that I added some scraps of material which I machine stitched very carefully to the cover – I only broke one needle in the process! Then came the embellishments which I added using hot glue and a material wrap to keep it closed. I am always envious of my American peers who seem to be able to purchase waxed bookbinding thread in assorted colours quite easily. I always end up waxing my own thread – and getting melted wax all over my cooker! With most of the book pages safely restitched within the covers I moved to inside the book.

    Recycled Journal - 21 Secrets 2013, Rae Missigman's Class - Inside Pages

    I covered the inside of the covers back and front with fabric which I stuck in using iron on fabric glue, then set to work creating a title page for the book. I started off with a layer of gesso, then added several layers of acrylic paint using a mixture of stencils and assorted stamping implements. I used letter stencils to create the titles and neocolour crayons to draw the flower.

    I’m really pleased with the way the book has turned out and can’t wait to work on some more pages! Thank you Rae for a really inspiring Class.

    eunice signature

    Finally finished!

    Yes! – I have finally finished my game board for last weeks Life Book lesson from Kelly Hoernig.

    Game of Life - Life Book, Week 5

    I ran out of space on my board to glue my car, so I attached it to a hinge so that it could be flipped to see the board underneath.

    Game of Life 2 - Life Book, Week 5

    I may add some flowers to the roadside later – I can’t decide at the moment!

    Meanwhile the ingredients list! I used collage, white gesso, acrylic paint, Artist Cellar stencils, a home made mask, some ribbon, a button, a little jute, a uniball eye pen, some digital text, most of a cotton bud, plus some ink and hot glue.

    I really enjoyed making this – thank you Kelly for a great lesson.

    eunice signature

    By on Sunday February 3rd, 2013 at 21:04 in Artistic Ramblings, CED, collage, Life Book 2013, Stencils - Comments Off on Finally finished!

    Tree of Life

    Browsing through blog posts in my rss reader a while ago, I came across a beautiful image called ‘Ablaze’ by Kathryn Dyche Dechairo. I was totally inspired!

    Tree of Life

    This is where the inspiration took me! I started with a torn magazine collage on watercolour paper. I covered that with a sheet of crumpled tissue paper stuck down with lots of semi-gloss gel medium. When that had dried I used my neocolour crayons to add some colour to the mix. Next I drew the outline of my tree using water soluble graphite pencils and coloured it in using the trusty neocolours. The next part involved covering the tree with hot glue! The last bit was adding the text using letter stamps which I then embossed.

    I toyed with the idea of adding some collaged leaves, but decided to keep it as a winter tree for now. Maybe I’ll try adding some digital leaves later!

    eunice signature

    By on Monday November 5th, 2012 at 12:00 in AEDM, Artistic Ramblings, collage, messy craft - 2 Replies - Leave a Reply